Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary Munnar Entry Fee
- 10 per person for Indians
- 100 per person for Foreign Tourists
- 25 for Still Camera
- 150 for Video Camera
Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 13 reviews
Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary Munnar Address: Kothamangalam , Kerala, 686691, India
It’s not possible to find a place in every city that is blessed with pristine scenic beauty and has an abundant variety of fauna. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, which is located at a distance of 73 Km from Munnar, presents tourists with a perfect weekend getaway option.
Also referred to as Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary, the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is one of the popular tourist attractions in Munnar that offer a beautiful and calm setting for tourists to relax and unwind amidst the best of nature.
Here you can enjoy a decent variety of birds along with admiring the gorgeous greenery surrounding the place. It is a heaven for bird lovers and an idyllic destination for all those who want to do something unique and different on their Munnar tour.
Perfect for families, the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary also features a Butterfly Park, a Deer Park, and a small Zoo for children to have an unlimited dose of entertainment. Other significant attractions of this place are the Taxidermic Museum and Animal Rehab Centre. Do not forget to enjoy the bonfire and treat your taste buds with mouth-watering fish being cooked on the grill while you’re here.
So, whether you’re planning to visit this location all alone, as a couple, or with friends, you’re sure to find things of your interest too. In fact, the best thing about this place is – you would like to see more of it once you encounter its real beauty.
History of Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Munnar
Sprawling over an area of 25 km in the foothills of western ghats, the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is the first bird sanctuary in Kerala that was formed by the famous ornithologist Dr. Salim Ali in 1983.
In the 1930s, he was doing the survey of Travancore and noticed that the particular area is rich in bird diversity and meant to be converted into a sanctuary to protect the same. Hence, we got this beautiful paradise for avian life.
Fauna at Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Munnar
Widely famous for boasting a diverse range of birdlife, the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary provides shelter to more than 270 avian species which include Bee-eater, Crimson-Throated Barber, Peninsular Bay Owl, White-bellied Blue Flycatcher, Black-winged Kite, Rufous Babbler, Fairy Bluebird, Malabar Grey Hornbill, and Pied Avocet.
Some exotic species such as Sunbird, Night Heron, Whiskered Terns, Wynaad Laughingthrush, Crested Serpent Eagle, Great Indian Hornbill, Jack Snipe, Sri Lanka Frogmouth, Black Bittern, and Yellow-browed Bulbuls are also found here.
The Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary also boasts Ashy Wood Swallow, Ash Tail, Darters, Jerdons Nightjar, Blue Kingfisher, regular Myna, Ceylon Frogmouth, Jungle Myna, Created Woodpecker, Orange Minivet, Lora, Changeable Hawk Eagle, etc.
Other than that, one can also spot Rose Billed Roller, Nilgiri Wood Pigeon, Shrike, Red Knot, Racket Tailed Drongo, Bronzed Drongo, and Shama in these forests. The Indian Pitta comes here after every 6 months, so if you’re lucky enough, you might be able to see it during your visit to the sanctuary.
Image Gallery of Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary/Thattekad Bird Sanctuary Munnar
What to do at Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Munnar?
Considered as the best sightseeing place in Munnar, it is a place that you shouldn’t miss at any cost while exploring the top attractions in/around the hill station. There are several things to do at Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary. A few of them are as follows:
1. Bird and Butterfly Watching: A popular recreational activity for avid birdwatchers, bird watching at this place is undoubtedly the best thing to do here. You can observe the birds through the naked eyes or take binoculars or telescopes with you for a fantastic effect. A butterfly park is also there where you can see a wide variety of butterflies.
2. Nature Walk: Enjoy a stroll with your loved ones to experience the serenity and beauty of God’s own country, Kerala. It is a place that is encompassed with lush-green forests and has jaw-dropping views to offer to its tourists.
3. Trekking: To bring out the best of adventure in you, you can try your hand at trekking to walk through the preserved forest. Although it is restricted to a particular area, the overall location where trekking is allowed is quite mesmerizing.
4. Boating: If you are here with kids and taking a walk to tour the complete sanctuary seems a little difficult, then don’t worry! The authorities offer a boating option that will help you go through the dense mangroves with ease. Depending upon your family, you can either choose to sit in a small boat or a large boat.
5. Photography: Your visit to Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary won’t be complete if you didn't take some time out for photography. Since it’s the richest bird habitat of Peninsular India, it’s important to capture the rare and exotic species you see in your camera. You can also get yourself photographed with a stunning background at the backdrop.
Entry Fee and Timings of Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Munnar
The entry fee to visit Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is INR 10 per person for Indians and INR 100 per person for foreigners. It welcomes its tourists from 7:00 AM in the morning to 5:00 PM on all days and the recommended exploration time is 3-4 hours.
Please note that if you are carrying a camera with you, you’ll need to pay INR 25 for it. For a video camera, it charges INR 150 from people.
Travel Tips for Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Munnar
- Keep accessories like sunglasses, hats, and caps handy to protect yourself from the sunlight during the day.
- Wear shoes that make you feel comfortable all day long, no matter how much you need to walk.
- Refrain from throwing the waste material here and there. As an Indian citizen, it is our responsibility to keep it clean all the time.
- Hire a professional guide to explore the sanctuary in a better way. In case you didn’t find any good guide, you can simply go with a guided tour arranged by the forest authorities for the convenience of people.
- Always carry enough drinking water with yourself. Also, do not forget to bring the food and other snack items along as there are no restaurants or eateries available within the premises and you might feel hungry while exploring around the place.
- Be aware that the sanctuary doesn’t have the facility of restrooms/washrooms. So, make your arrangements accordingly.
Best Time to Visit Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Munnar
Although one can enjoy a visit to Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary at any time of the year, if you want to make the most of your trip, you should plan to head towards it during the winter season that starts in October and continues until March. At this time, the migratory season is at its peak and you’ll get to see a lot of birds coming from different regions and other parts of the nation.
Also, the weather is quite pleasant in winters in Munnar with temperature sometimes even dropping to 13-degree Celsius, thus making it an ideal spot for tourists to explore the surroundings and admire the unmatchable beauty of the place.
Please note that the region receives heavy rainfall during monsoon time, hence, it’s best to avoid it when it is raining.
How to Reach Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Munnar?
Getting to Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary from Cochin is easy. After arriving at the Kochi International Airport, you can enjoy a road journey that goes through Aluva-Munnar Road to Kothamangalam from where it takes approximately 2 hours to reach your destination.
However, if you are at Ernakulam Junction Railway Station and planning to come from there, then you can catch a direct train to Aluva Railway Station, which is the nearest station to the sanctuary. From there, one can hire a private taxi from the list of top car rental companies in Munnar to experience a hassle-free commutation.
Book an all-inclusive Munnar tour package with us to have the most exciting trip of your life to Munnar. We at Munnar Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, cater to everyone’s needs and curate holiday packages that not only suit your budget but holiday style as well. Our team of travel experts also offers the best travel deals and discounts to loyal customers. To know more about us, we request you to fill the Contact Us form.