Just like any other hill station of India, Munnar is equally known for boasting breathtaking beauty, picturesque hills, amazing weather, and mesmerizing waterfalls. So, why do people from every corner of the world come to this tourist destination? What’s the one thing that catches everyone’s interest and encourages them to take a week off for this hill station? Just think about it and you’ll surely get the answer. Yes, you’re right, it’s the evergreen tea plantations!
The refreshing tea estates of this hill station look no less than a paradise on earth and are so beautiful that the one who witnesses its charm and magic never really wants to go back home. A place that gives you exactly the same feeling and makes you go gaga on your visit to Munnar is the Kannan Devan Tea Museum.
Also referred to as the Tata Tea Museum, the Kannan Devan Tea Museum is one of its own kinds of museums in India that present a perfect weekend getaway option to all those interested in exploring the tea estate on their Munnar tour and is indeed an idyllic spot for a half-day excursion.
Situated at Nullatanni Estate of Tata Tea and just 5-minutes away from the town, the Kannan Devan Tea Museum boasts an excellent location with gorgeous lush greenery surrounding the area. It’s a place where you can indulge yourself in the aroma of fresh tea leaves and see how your everyday morning tea is prepared. It’s a place where you can get to know everything about the tea plantation industry in India. It’s a place where you can gain knowledge on the complete processing of tea. What’s more?
When you leave this place, you’ll definitely fall in love with a cup of tea again and would want to sip it for a lifetime. Don’t forget to pay a visit to the demonstration room of this museum and purchase a variety of tea according to your taste – there is a different flavor for everyone!
History and Architecture of Kannan Devan Tea Museum
Dating its history back to the year 2005, the Kannan Devan Tea Museum, owned and managed by Tata Group, was opened to trace the legacy of the more than a century-old tea plantation system in Munnar. It depicts how the tea-making process has progressed over the years from a simple tea roller that was used in earlier times to a modern-age fully automated tea factory, which makes things quite easy nowadays.
At the entrance, you will find a granite sundial that was built by the Art Industrial School, Tamil Nadu in 1913. Some of the old and exotic artifacts such as the rudimentary tea roller from 1905, the Pelton Wheel from the 1920s, and a rail engine wheel unit are proud possessions of this museum.
A part of this museum also houses a wooden bathtub, manual calculators, classic bungalow furniture, typewriters, magneto phone, iron oven, etc. Here you will also see photographs of people who worked hard to transform an unused piece of land into a major tea plantation center of Kerala state.
What to do at Kannan Devan Tea Museum, Munnar?
While there is nothing much to do at Kannan Devan Tea Museum in Munnar, however, if you want to make the most of your time, you can engage yourself in the following things:
1. Learn about the Vibrant History of Tea Estates: As a tea lover, it’s important for you to know about the history and growth of Munnar’s tea processing plant. Only then, you’ll be able to pass the knowledge to others (in case anyone asks). What could be a better place than the Kannan Devan Tea Museum to learn everything about tea? Well, this place has informative boards everywhere from where you can read the details and discover how it all started.
2. Indulge in Different Flavours of Tea: When you’re at a place like the Tea Museum, you obviously cannot miss savoring the different kinds of teas available at the museum. The aroma of fresh tea leaves being prepared here will surely leave you in awe and make you feel proud of being a Tea Lover. You just need to pay INR 100 and you’ll be all set to discover a wide variety of flavors of tea. One can also buy the tea powders at the sales outlet on the way back home at pretty reasonable prices.
Image Gallery of Kannan Devan Tea Museum Munnar
Entry Fee and Timings of Kannan Devan Tea Museum, Munnar
The entry fee to visit Kannan Devan Tea Museum is INR 75 per person for adults and INR 35 per person for children between 6 to 12 years of age. It opens its doors from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on all days of the week except Monday.
Please note that the museum remains closed on all public holidays, especially on Good Fridays. Also, you’ll need to pay an extra charge of INR 20 in case you're carrying a camera with you.
Travel Tips for Kannan Devan Tea Museum, Munnar
- It is not allowed to touch any item placed within the premises of this museum. So, be careful about that.
- Do not bring any food packets or plastic bags inside whenever you visit this location. As a responsible citizen, it is our duty to maintain its cleanliness and keep it the way it was before you stepped in.
- Do not hesitate to ask the officials to give you a complete tour of the museums and explain the exhibits there. You can also check the signboards present in front of the display objects.
- Try visiting the museum during the show timings to know everything about tea in detail. From tea plantation to tea culture, tea cultivation, and the final packaging of tea, you’ll get to learn everything in just a 30-minutes documentary. For your convenience, the officials run the show twice daily i.e., at 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM.
Best Time to Visit Kannan Devan Tea Museum, Munnar
An added advantage of planning your trip to Munnar is that it’s an all-season destination and you can visit it any time of the year. However, if you want to experience the perfect time of your life in this hill station, it would be great to cover it between September to November and from December to March.
In these months, the weather is really pleasant with temperature ranging between 20-degree Celsius to 32-degree Celsius, thus making it comfortable for tourists to explore its breathtaking beauty in the best possible way. Also, during this period, Munnar receives a huge crowd of people from all over the world and hence the resorts remain full. So, plan accordingly.
How to Reach Kannan Devan Tea Museum, Munnar?
Due to its good connectivity to the other regions of Kerala and metro cities of India, it has become easy for travelers to reach Munnar via airways, via railways, or via roadways.
For example, if you are coming by air, Cochin International Airport is the only airport in Kerala where your flight will land. It is located at a distance of approximately 100 Km and takes 3 hours to cover the required distance. Once you arrive at the airport, you can book a cab from the list of top car rental companies in Munnar for a hassle-free commutation.
However, if you like the train journey, you can catch a train from either New Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata, or Bangalore. The train will take you to Ernakulam Railway Station, which is considered as the main and biggest station in Kochi. From there, it’s easy to get local transport for Munnar’s Kannan Devan Tea Museum. For your ease, the Kerala government also provides bus service to the hill station. So, you can travel the way you like!
Book an all-inclusive Munnar tour package with us to enjoy your trip to Munnar at pocket-friendly prices. At Munnar Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, we cater to our client’s needs and design travel packages that suit their holiday requirements the most. Depending on your duration of stay, our team also helps you curate an itinerary that includes the popular sightseeing places in Munnar. With us, you don’t have to worry about anything as we take care of everything! Please fill the Contact Us form to know more about our offerings.