Punarjani Traditional Village Munnar Entry Fee
- 300 - 500 per person depending on seat type
Punarjani Traditional Village Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 13 reviews
Punarjani Traditional Village Munnar Address: Pallivasal Rd, Pallivasal, Kerala, 685565, India
Punarjani Traditional Village is an offbeat laid-back tourist spot in Munnar. It's a performing art theatre where you can watch regional cultural shows. And these offer a memorable one-time experience to the visitors.
Punarjani means rebirth, and this cultural centre aims to rejuvenate the traditions of Kerala. You can enjoy two styles of performing arts. The first performance is Kathakali, a beautiful blend of dance and drama. The second art form performed at Punarjani Traditional Village is Kalarippayattu, the traditional martial art of the region.
Visiting the Punarjani art and culture centre is one of the best things to do in Munnar at night. It is best suited for art and culture enthusiasts. It allows them to witness the cultural heritage and tradition of the state, through some entertaining performances.
Tourists visit it mainly for the engaging Kathakali performances and Kalaripayattu moves. But Punarjani offers different Ayurvedic massage sessions too.
Things to do at Punarjani Traditional Village
1. Watch Kathakali dance-drama performance – Kathakali dance-drama is a skilful performance with a combination of storytelling, music and dance. A person narrates an event from Hindu epics or other folk stories during the show while Kathakali artists act and dance along. They put on colourful costumes and elaborate facial makeup, and they also use hand and facial gestures to present their emotions and expressions. In the background, musicians play the drums and other traditional instruments.
2. Observe the preparation for Kathakali – Kathakali is popular for its elaborate makeup and heavy costumes too. And if you reach the place early, you can sit in the audience to watch how the performers prepare for the show. The preparation starts about an hour before the show as they put on layers of colourful attire and other accessories. Afterwards, they do the necessary makeup and colour their faces while mentally preparing themselves.
3. Stay for Kalaripayattu martial arts performance – Another show in Punarjani Traditional Village Munnar is of Kalaripayattu, Kerala's local martial art form. It's performed in a separate combat arena with different handheld weapons like daggers, swords and spears. Two or more fighters perform at a time showing their attacking and defending skills. They run around, do somersaults and perform extreme physical stunts during the fight. Stunts with fire are also performed.
4. Interact and learn about the culture – After the performances, you can interact with the artists and click photographs with them. You can learn about their lifestyle and find many exciting things about art, culture, and other regional practices.
5. Enjoy a relaxing Ayurvedic spa session – Punarjani Traditional Village also offers different Ayurvedic massages and relaxation therapies. These can help in the relaxation of the mind, body and soul. And the herbal oils used during the process also provide effective relief from many health problems and body ailments. Full body massages, hot potli massages and shirodhara massages are among the various massages you can get here. After the therapy, get a steam bath to get rid of the stickiness (and the body toxins).
Punarjani Traditional Village Timings and Entry Fee
Punarjani Traditional Village is open on all days throughout the year. It’s open from 8 AM to about 10 PM. But the shows run only from 5 PM to 7 PM.
The Kathakali dance-drama performance is a one-hour show, starting at 5 PM every day. But if you reach by 4 PM, you can watch the artists get their facial makeup and prepare for the show. The Kalaripayattu martial art form performance is also a one-hour show, starting at 6 PM every day.
Punarjani Traditional Village ticket price depends on the seats you want to book. Three types of seats are available for each show. And their charges start at ₹300 per person per show. Children below five years get complimentary tickets to the shows.
The charges for Ayurvedic massages are ₹1500 onwards.
Best time to visit Punarjani Traditional Village Munnar
Punarjani Traditional Village is open throughout the year. But it's best to visit this performing art theatre during the winter months, from November to February. The weather remains cool throughout the day but it can get chilly during the evenings. During other times of the year, especially summer, it gets pretty hot and humid inside the theatre.
Image Gallery of Punarjani Traditional Village Munnar
Time to explore Punarjani Traditional Village
This art and culture theatre is the best place to visit in Munnar to get a glimpse into the culture of Kerala. The shows run for 2 hours daily in the evening. But you should have 3-4 hours reserved for a visit to Punarjani Traditional Village. If you reach early, you can watch how meticulously artists prepare for the show.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Punarjani Traditional Village
- Ticket prices differ according to seating arrangements.
- Book tickets early to avoid any last-minute rush.
- Wear comfortable footwear to walk around the venue.
- Carry sweaters and scarves along with you.
- Try to reach a little early to watch the preparation.
- Sit in the front for a better view.
- Families with kids should sit at the back to avoid loud sounds.
- Carry your camera to take pictures with the crew after the show.
How to reach Punarjani Traditional Village Munnar?
Punarjani Traditional Village is a rich cultural centre about 8 km away from Munnar. It is about 6 km from the Munnar bus stop, and it's easily accessible by road. The nearest railway station and airport is in Kochi (about 120 km away).
And following are the different ways to reach Punarjani Traditional Village –
By buses – Public buses are available from the Munnar bus stand. You can check their schedule and visit all the tourist places in and around Punarjani Traditional Village.
By auto-rickshaws – Auto rickshaws are available all over Munnar. They usually take 20-30 minutes to take you to Punarjani from Munnar town.
By taxis/cabs – Taxis are the best to visit Punarjani Traditional Village Munnar and spend time without any hurry. They're available all over Munnar and take only about 20-30 minutes to reach this theatre from Munnar town. You can also book a private cab from top car rental companies in Munnar at affordable prices. You can get one for your entire vacation and see all the tourist places in Munnar and around.
Book a Munnar trip with us to experience the beautiful hill station. We at Munnar Tourism, a division of Holiday DNA, are dedicated to making every visitor’s stay memorable by designing customized Munnar tour packages that fit into their vacation budget. Whether it is a family vacation or a romantic honeymoon trip, we create custom made Munnar tours that ensure complete satisfaction. If you want to book a Munnar tour package, write to us via the Contact Us form. We will be happy to assist you.