Pothamedu Viewpoint Munnar Entry Fee
- No entry fee
Pothamedu Viewpoint Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 65 reviews
Pothamedu Viewpoint Munnar Address: Bisonvally Road, Idukki, Kerala, 685565, India
Pothamedu Viewpoint is one of those places in Munnar which fills you with refreshing vibes. A never-ending cover of tea plantations, evergreen meadows and cars turning cautiously on the winding road below is the scene you witness.
It offers a panoramic view of Munnar and the surrounding hills covered with coffee, cardamom, pepper plantations and tea. You trek your way through them to reach the vantage point. On a cloudless day, you can even see the distant Muthirapuzha River and Idukki Arch Dam.
Local people frequent Pothamedu View Point for picnics. Apart from the hypnotic views and opportunity for trekking, the place proves to be an excellent avenue for photography.
Pothamedu Viewpoint is a must-visit if you are looking for a refreshing holiday.
Things to do at Pothamedu Viewpoint Munnar
1. Hiking up to the vantage point – The breathtaking scenery of the rolling hills and the panoramic view of the plantations on the slopes attract adventure seekers to hike the way to the top of Pothamedu View Point. You can also go for a leisure mountain walk along the aromatic plantations of tea, coffee, and spices.
2. Relaxing with your family – Pothamedu View Point in Munnar is known as a picnic spot. Local people come here to spend time with their friends and family members. The mountainous backdrop, the cool breeze and the green cover around will surely pull you to spend some time here. Sit and feel the serenity. Do absolutely nothing.
3. Enjoying the sun – Visit the place to admire the breathtaking sunsets and sunrises among the hills. Pothamedu View Point sunset watching is an activity you must not miss. Watch the sun slide down the horizon, spreading its golden glow over the surrounding hills.
4. Clicking pictures – The tourist spot offers a mesmerizing view of Munnar and the valleys, covered with a green bed. And if the atmosphere is clear, you can catch a glimpse of the Muthirapuzha River and Idukki Arch Dam from Pothamedu Viewpoint. It is the perfect spot to capture some memorable pictures of the town.
5. Having snacks – While you are enjoying the views, take a sip at the nearby tea shop. A cup of masala tea in hand, the golden evening sky, and endless stretches of the hills, what more do you need to relax? The small eateries on the way also serve various kinds of tea, to warm you up in that chilly atmosphere.
Pothamedu View Point Entry Fee and Timings
The entry to Pothamedu Viewpoint is free, and it is open to everyone. You can go there anytime during the day and on all days of the year, including weekends and holidays.
Image Gallery of Pothamedu Viewpoint Munnar
Best Time to visit Pothamedu Viewpoint
Munnar has an appealing climate throughout the year. But it’s best to avoid the monsoon months. Plan your tour during winter, spring, or early summer season. Those are the peak tourist seasons and offer the best views. Also, pay a visit to Pothamedu Viewpoint in the morning or evening to experience the magical sunrise/sunset.
Time to explore Pothamedu Viewpoint
You can spend an hour at Pothamedu View Point. During your visit, you can trek up to the top, sip tea alongside the magnificent views or just sit on the grass reading a book.
Places to visit near Pothamedu Viewpoint Munnar
1. Eravikulam National Park – About 12 km from Pothamedu Viewpoint, Eravikulam National Park is the home to endangered Nilgiri Tahr and many other animals, birds, and amphibians. It is spread over 92 square kilometres and is full of grasslands, shrublands and Shola forests. Many river tributaries also flow through the park.
2. Nyayamkadu Waterfalls – Nyayamkadu Waterfalls is situated near Eravikulam National Park. It is surrounded by forests and offers opportunities for trekking and rock climbing. People also come to enjoy a picnic with friends and family. Here, the water cascades down the rocks from a height of over 1500 m, into a pool. You can trek to the falls or climb the rocks to reach the top.
3. Kannan Devan Tea Museum – The Tea Museum is 6 km away from Pothamedu View Point, and it tells the history of tea cultivation in the area. Here, you will know all about the automated processes involved in the tea leaves processing. The old tea processing machines are still in the museum. And you can watch how tea was processed in the earlier days.
4. Mattupetty Dam – Mattupetty Dam was built for power generation and water conservation. The green valley and the serene lake, however, attract people to this place. The lake serves as an important water source for birds and animals, and you can spot elephants at its banks. You can also enjoy boating at the lake. It is 14 km away from Pothamedu.
5. Echo Point – This tourist spot is situated by a lake surrounded by trees and the mountains. It is about 7 km ahead of Mattupetty Dam, and here you can hear your echoes. At Echo Point, you can go boating, walk around the lake, or sit at the banks, enjoying the magnificent views. You might also witness Neelakurinji flowers on the nearby slopes, which bloom once in 12 years.
How to Reach Pothamedu View Point
Pothamedu View Point is in Idukki district of Kerala, about 5 km away from Munnar. You can take a bus or hire a private cab from top car rental companies in Munnar to reach the place.
And following are the different ways to reach Munnar –
By Road – Munnar is connected to other nearby towns by the curvy and twisty routes through the Nilgiri Hills. Regular buses are available from nearby towns like Coimbatore (150 km), Kochi (120 km), Madurai (170 km) and others. The viewpoint is only 2 km away from Munnar bus stop. You can also book a cab to take you to Munnar and visit all the tourist spots including Pothamedu Viewpoint.
By Rail – The nearest railway station for Munnar and Pothamedu is at Aluva. It is about 120 km away. Daily trains run from nearby towns and other major cities of India. Other stations like Coimbatore (150 km), Ernakulam (120 km), and Madurai (170 km) have better nation-wide railway connectivity. From those stations, you can take a bus or cab to reach Munnar.
By Air – The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport, which is 120 km away. It has daily flights from many Indian airports and neighbouring countries. Coimbatore and Madurai airports are also near Munnar. Get down at the airport and get a bus or taxi for Munnar.
The picturesque hill station of Munnar can be best explored by booking a Munnar Tour package with us. We at Munnar Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA have designed these packages to suit the budget and other needs of our customers. We make sure you visit all the popular sightseeing places of Munnar which you can also customise according to your preferences. To know more, please fill the Contact Us form.