Elephant Arrival Spot Munnar Entry Fee
- No entry fee
Elephant Arrival Spot Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 15 reviews
Elephant Arrival Spot Munnar Address: 18 km from Munnar, En Route to Top Station, Munnar, Kerala, 685612, India
It’s hard to find a glade in a hill station so densely packed with trees, tea gardens and spice plantations. Yet, 100 square kilometres of meadows along the Munnar Top Station Highway in Kerala emerge as a temporary home for elephants.
The Elephant Arrival Spot is 18 km from Munnar’s main market district, but unmissable if you plan to visit the Top Station, the highest point on these Nilgiri Hills. The distinct marks of Elephant trails and their scattered dung point to the place where these pachyderms arrive at various times in the day.
Elephant Arrival Spot, Munnar Timings & Entry Fee
You can stroll about the glade at any time of the day, but elephant-back rides are available only from 9 AM until 5 PM every day of the week. There is no fee to enter the Elephant Arrival Spot, but the mahouts charge a token amount.
Things to do at Elephant Arrival Spot, Munnar
The Elephant Arrival Spot will hardly take a couple of hours of your time. Yet, you will be able to do some things here:
1. Don’t miss elephant-rides which are guided by the mahouts who communicate with the elephants by touching the back of the pachyderm’s ear with their thumb toe.
2. Take pictures as you walk across the meadow, but beware of leeches. You can rub some antiseptic lotion as a precautionary measure.
Image Gallery of Elephant Arrival Spot Munnar
Places to Visit Near the Elephant Arrival Spot, Munnar
The Elephant Arrival Spot is tucked away on the route from Munnar Old Town to the Top Station. Without getting you off this route, here are a few places we suggest you could explore along the road:
1. Echo Point: Only 3 km from the Elephant Arrival Spot, the Echo Point must not be missed. Ask the local shopkeepers for the exact location. When you reach there, call out your name loudly to experience the echo effect when your voice reverberates through the mountains. A river flows between this point and the hills across. You have the option of boating in the river.
2. Kundala Lake: Also called Kundale, this lake is 5 km from the Elephant Arrival Spot. The rare Neela Kurunji blooms can be found in this area. These flowers bloom only once in 12 years, making the valley seem blue. The Kundala Dam forms the lake at an altitude of 1,700 metres above sea level where one can try boating or a romantic shikara ride.
3. Top Station: Almost 22 km from the Elephant Arrival Spot, Top Station is perhaps the most famous lookout point in Munnar. This is the highest point and actually located in the neighbouring state of Tamil Nadu. Visit in the winters or clear summers to see the ravishing Nilgiri hills, the valleys, spice plantations and tea estates of Kerala. Top Station is a great place to take wide angle photos of nature.
4. Yellapetty View Point: Well along the Kannan Devan Hills, one comes across the last hamlet of Tamil Nadu, aptly named “Yellapetty” which means “the last village” in the local dialect. Alternatively called Ellepetty, this place is a hiker’s delight. You can also camp on the plains up here to indulge in some stargazing at night.
How to Reach the Elephant Arrival Spot, Munnar
Since the Elephant Arrival Spot is only 18 km from Munnar, it is relatively well connected by road. There are various modes of travel you can choose from in order to get here:
By Air: Those who prefer flights can book a seat on any aircraft that flies to Cochin International Airport which is the nearest one at about 100 km. It takes at least 3 hours to reach the Elephant Arrival Spot from the airport.
By Train: The closest train stations are all over a hundred kilometres away. Depending on the connectivity from your city, town or village, you can buy a ticket to any train route that stops at Ernakulam, Angamali or Aluva railway stations.
By Bus: The main bus stop which is nearest to the Elephant Arrival Spot is Munnar Bus Station which is about 18 km away. If you plan to arrive from a different city on an overnight bus, this is the major bus stop that you should halt at. You can then switch to a cab to reach your final destination.
By Car: To avoid changing between different modes of transport, hire a cab from top car rental companies in Munnar coupled with an experienced driver who is familiar with the routes and the hilly terrain. You will be able to relax throughout your holiday then.
To make the most of your Munnar tour, book a Munnar Tour package with Munnar Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA. We offer packages at competitive prices which includes a trip to all the famous sightseeing places of Munnar along with accommodation. To know more about our offerings, please fill the Contact Us form.