Lockhart Gap Munnar Entry Fee
- No entry fee
Lockhart Gap Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 13 reviews
Lockhart Gap Munnar Address: Munnar _ Madurai National Highway, Mattupatty, Munnar, Kerala, 685612, India
Lockhart (or Lock Heart) Gap is a gap between two mountains near Munnar, which looks similar to the shape of a heart. You can observe this gap and the surrounding landscape from the Lockhart Gap ViewPoint.
This viewpoint is on Lockhart Gap Road, about 12 km from Munnar. It offers an expansive view of the tea-covered slopes, mist-clad blue hills and the winding roads in the valley. Views of the valley hidden by the fog, scenic stretch of road and a gorgeous sunset are only a few things which attract people to Lockhart Gap Road View Point.
It is a popular picnic spot, heaven for trekkers and a quiet recess for anyone who’s looking for some solitude. The little time you spend at Lockhart Gap Munnar would be enough to refresh and rejuvenate you. And it’s a paradise for photographers too.
Things to do at Lockhart Gap Munnar
1. Picnicking with your group – With the backdrop of blue hills and green valleys, Lockhart Gap ViewPoint is the perfect location to spend time with your friends and family members. The cool breeze laden with the aroma of herbs and tea plantations nearby will mesmerise you. And it will provide relief from the hustle and bustle of city life too.
2. Trekking among the plantations – The area surrounding the viewpoint and the long stretch of the road provides plenty of opportunities to the trekking enthusiasts. Whether you want a thrilling experience within dense forests on the slopes or a calming nature walk among spice plantations and tea gardens, Lockhart Gap Munnar offers it.
3. Enjoying the views in the evening – Away from the crowd, Lock Heart Gap is also among the best places to watch the sunset in Munnar. The evening sun fills the sky with an orange glow. And you can spend hours sitting there, with a cup of steaming masala tea in hand.
4. Clicking photographs – Rolling hills, cloud-lined skies and green valleys make this place a dreamland for the photographers. And if you too love photography, the panoramic landscape will leave you spellbound.
5. Visiting the cave – Beside the vantage point for Lockheart Gap, you'll also find a rock cave nearby, named Malayil Kallan Guha. Anyone who stops for the views, visits both Lockhart Gap and Rock Cave. It’s a narrow cave and, as per a story, a thief lived here and created a nuisance for the passers-by.
Lock Heart Gap Munnar Timings and Entry Fee
You need not pay any entry fee for Lockhart Gap ViewPoint. It is open throughout the day and anyone can go there to enjoy the intoxicating views. You can go for a short trek, visit the tea factory nearby or sit there, sipping tea or having snacks.
Image Gallery of Lockhart / Lockheart Gap Munnar
Best Time to visit Lockheart Gap Munnar
As Lockheart Gap is open all through the year, you can visit it any time. However, the climate is at its best during winter, from November until February. During summer, the heat becomes unbearable sometimes, and during monsoon, the visibility is poor.
So, plan your trip in winter to visit Lockhart Gap Munnar amidst the cool breeze. The mornings are foggy, but you can enjoy clear and splendid views throughout the day. You can spend about an hour at this scenic spot.
How to reach Lockheart Gap Munnar?
Lockheart Gap viewpoint is about 12 km away from Munnar. You can get a taxi from top car rental companies in Munnar to get here and also to cover other top places to visit in Munnar. And following are the various ways to reach Munnar –
By Road – You can hire a cab for Munnar from nearby cities like Bangalore, Coimbatore, Kochi and others. Regular buses are also available. Lock Heart Gap is about 14 km away from Munnar bus depot.
By Rail – Aluva railway station, about 120 km away from Munnar, has trains from many cities around. Coimbatore, Ernakulam and Madurai are the other major railway stations near Munnar. And from these stations, you can get buses and cabs for Munnar.
By Air – The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport. It is 120 km away. It has flights from many cities in India and abroad. Coimbatore and Madurai airports are also nearby.
Munnar has a lot to offer for nature enthusiasts, adventure seekers, honeymoon couples and families. Make the best of your Munnar tour by booking a Munnar Tour package with us. With Munnar Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, we ensure you will have a great holiday experience that doesn’t burden your pockets. Know more about our packages and deals by filling the Contact Us form. We are waiting to hear from you!