Floriculture Centre Munnar Entry Fee
- 20 per person
- 20 for Still Camera
- 50 for Video Camera
- 500 for Professional Camera
Floriculture Centre Munnar Phone
04865 230 332
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 12 reviews
Floriculture Centre Munnar Address: Munnar Colony Rd, Silent Valley, Munnar, Kerala, 685612, India
Commonly known as the KFDC Garden, the Floriculture Centre in Munnar is a place full of beautiful flowers, herbs, medicinal plants, bonsai and various types of greens. Just 2 kilometres from the city centre of this hill station, this botanical garden has a wide collection of Kerala’s well known as well as rare blooms.
Floriculture Centre Timings & Entry Fee
This botanical park is open on all days of the week from 10 AM until 5:45 PM. The ticket counter is open only until 5 PM though. The entry fee is a nominal INR 20 per person, which is a flat rate for both adults and children, whether they are Indians or foreigners.
For the use of still cameras, you pay INR 20 per device. For video cameras or camcorders, the rate is INR 50. If you are carrying a professional camera, you pay INR 500. This fee gives you the right to shoot the entire day.
Things to do at the Floriculture Centre
Even if you have just a few minutes to explore the KFDC Floriculture Centre, it will not disappoint. Here are some activities you can look forward to:
1. Observe the various flower patterns, colours, sizes and shapes that flourish here. While some flowers are tiny, some others are as big as a human face! Botanists can particularly try to recall the names of all the flora collection.
2. If you wish to grow your own plants at home, you can buy seeds or saplings straight away from the sales counter of the Floriculture Centre.
3. Develop the art of macro photography and start building your flower photography portfolio as you capture each of these carefully kept flowers. Be careful not to pluck any flower, though. The authorities are very strict with this rule.
4. Spend some time at the café of the Floriculture Centre sipping on local teas or coffees. You can also gorge on the snacks available on their menu.
5. If you are waiting to do your own photoshoot but cannot find a location, the Floriculture Centre is an excellent place. You will have a lot of backgrounds to experiment with as you pose against neatly trimmed trees, garden plants, ornamental creepers and other varieties of decorative plants.
Image Gallery of Floriculture Centre Munnar
Interesting Facts About the Floriculture Centre
No botanical garden can exist without some trivia around it. The same goes for the Floriculture Centre in Munnar. Here is some fascinating information about this place:
1. The Floriculture Centre is also known as the Munnar Rose Garden, alluding to the vast collection of rose plants that thrives here.
2. The premises is managed by the Kerala Forest Development Centre which is a Government of Kerala undertaking.
3. Apart from high-altitude plants, the Floriculture Centre is equipped with a café, a souvenir shop, some food stores and rest rooms for the visitors.
4. While the name of this KFDC Garden points to the profusion of flowering plants, the botanical park also has cacti, creepers, shrubs, medicinal plants and herbs.
5. This well-manicured flower centre is placed against a tea estate, so one has an irresistible view of the neatly planned plantations.
Places to Visit Near the Floriculture Centre, Munnar
The KFDC Floriculture Centre isn’t the only sight you will get to see when you visit this region of Munnar. There are several other attractions at close quarters which are worth exploring:
1. Photo Point: Only 500 metres from the botanical garden, this point is right off the main highway. If you don’t wish to drive, you can just walk for a few minutes to reach this place where you have the chance to get dressed as a local tea-leaf picker and have a professional photoshoot against the backdrop of a tea estate.
2. Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church: Less than 3 km from the Floriculture Centre, this Christian house of worship was built in 1898. This Roman Catholic church opens its doors every morning for the daily mass, while on weekends, even an evening mass is held. There are statues of Mary and Jesus at the central altarpiece while the windows are old-fashioned ones with wooden frames.
3. Thirumeny Cultural Centre Munnar: Less than 2 km from the botanical garden, this performing arts theatre takes barely 5 minutes to arrive by car. For a fee of INR 300 per head, Thirumeny Cultural Centre Munnar lets you enjoy Kathakali and Kalaripayattu shows. You are allowed to use your camera even while the performances are on! Before the show starts, there is a special demonstration of how the Kathakali actors do their makeup.
4. Carmelagiri Elephant Park: Dedicated to elephants, this meadow-filled park is where one can get an elephant-back ride through the woods of Munnar. At a distance of almost 4 km, Carmelagiri Elephant Park takes less than 10 minutes to arrive at from the Floriculture Centre. If you have more hours to spare, you can also watch these elephants being fed and given a bath.
How to Reach the Floriculture Centre, Munnar
Located just a couple of kilometres away from the heart of Munnar’s main marketplace, the KFDC Floriculture Centre can be reached through a number of different modes of transport depending upon your budget, time and need for comfort:
By Air: The Cochin International Airport, which is slightly more than 3 hours away from this botanical garden, is the closest airport that you can fly into. The airport, which is fully solar powered, is just a dash over 100 km from the Floriculture Centre.
By Train: If you choose to arrive by train, relishing the rustic scenery of the Western Ghats from your window, you can book your tickets to either Angamali Railway Station or Aluva Railway Station, as both are located roughly 107 km from the KFDC Floriculture Centre. The road journey from either station will take over 3 hours.
By Bus: Only 3.2 km away, Munnar Bus Station is the closest bus stop where inter-city and inter-state buses halt. If arriving in an overnight bus, hire a local cab for the last mile drive of 7 minutes to the botanical garden.
By Car: The most relaxing mode of transportation in this part of Munnar is a private car. You can either self drive if you’re an expert with high-altitude hill roads, or leave that to the professionals. It is easy to rent a private cab from top car rental companies in Munnar with a driver who will take you to the KFDC Floriculture Centre and also show you around.
The breathtaking beauty of Munnar makes it one of the top most tourist destinations in India. We at Munnar Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA make sure you explore all the popular sightseeing places of Munnar as well as offbeat locations that are not thronged by a large number of visitors. We have compiled Munnar Tour packages that you can choose from based on your holiday duration, budget and occasion. For further details, please fill the Contact Us form and we will get back to you at the earliest.